FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a Modern Apprenticeship?
What are the benefits of a Modern Apprenticeship?
Modern Apprenticeships are now available at four different levels, some equivalent to a degree. Apprentices will also benefit from:
- Earning a regular salary while you learn – with no tuition fees or debt!
- Working alongside experienced staff and developing the skills that industries need.
- Gaining an industry recognised qualification.
- Following a faster route to qualify and progress in your chosen field.
- Benefiting from high quality, structured training and development opportunities.
- Receiving ongoing support from dedicated assessors and trainers.
How long do Modern Apprenticeships last?
The duration of a Modern Apprenticeship varies and depends on the level of the Modern Apprenticeship, the experience of the apprentice and how much learning is required to be competent within their role.
Who can do a Modern Apprenticeship?
Learners must be 16 years or over. To get funding to do a modern apprenticeship (or even to be able to do one without funding) you must be employed (in a full time or part time job).
What levels of Modern Apprenticeships are available?
There are four different levels of Modern Apprenticeship:
How are Modern Apprenticeships funded?
The Scottish Government via Skills Development Scotland contributes to the costs of training for apprentices aged 16-24, and 25+ for some frameworks:
- For apprentices aged 16-19 years – apprenticeship training costs are 100% funded.
- For apprentices aged 20-24 years – a proportion of the training costs will be covered with employers meeting the rest.
Funding for Modern Apprenticeships is only intended to cover part of the cost of a Modern Apprenticeship programme. Other costs are usually paid by the employer and vary depending on the type of Modern Apprenticeship being undertaken.
How much is a Modern Apprentice paid?
Apprentices will be paid a salary which is determined by the employer and depends on the level of skills and the industry. The salary will cover their normal working hours, any training that is part of the Modern Apprenticeship and at least 20 days holidays per year (plus bank holidays).
There is a national minimum wage for Modern Apprentices which is currently £3.70/hr (for apprentices under 19 or those aged 19 or over in their first year), however most of our employers will pay more than this. In addition, most apprentices also enjoy marked salary increases when they complete their training.
What if someone is not ready to do a Modern Apprenticeship?
We offer Employability Fund training programmes in Glasgow and Renfrewshire for individuals looking for help to get back to work or to develop the skills they need for their first job. These programmes provide high quality work experience, work preparation training and valuable employability skills. For more details please call us on 01786 478 478.